Current:Home > MyTrendPulse|Autoworkers strike at Stellantis plant shutting down big profit center, 41,000 workers now picketing -Ascend Wealth Education
TrendPulse|Autoworkers strike at Stellantis plant shutting down big profit center, 41,000 workers now picketing
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 20:22:47
The TrendPulseUnited Auto Workers union has once again escalated its strikes against big Detroit automakers, this time adding a factory that makes Ram pickup trucks for Stellantis.
The union says that 6,800 members walked out Monday morning and shut down the Sterling Heights, Michigan, Assembly Plant, a huge profit center for the company.
The newest strike action comes just three days after union President Shawn Fain reported progress in talks with General Motors and Stellantis but said the companies will have to make better offers. No progress was reported with Ford, which last week said it had the best offer of the three.
The union went on strike Sept. 15 at one assembly plant from each company. About 40,800 workers are now on strike against all three automakers. The strikes, now in their sixth week, cover seven assembly plants and 38 parts warehouses. About 28% of the union’s work force at the three company’s are now on strike.
General Motors, which increased its offer last week, and Ford were spared in the latest escalation. At first the union avoided striking at pickup and large SUV plants, which at all three produce vehicles that make the most money for the companies. But that changed two weeks ago when the UAW took out a giant Ford heavy-duty pickup and SUV plant in Louisville, Kentucky.
In its statement, the union said that offers from Stellantis, formed in the 2021 merger of Fiat Chrysler and France’s PSA Groupe, lag Ford and GM despite the automaker having the most revenue and highest profits of the three.
Stellantis has the worst offer on cost of living raises, how fast workers move to the top of the pay scale, temporary worker pay, converting temps to full time, and other issues, the union said.
By taking down the Stellantis factory, the union is signaling Ford and GM to improve their offers, Wedbush analyst Dan Ives said. Last week it appeared a deal might be in the works, but Fain said Friday that the companies will need to pay more.
“It takes a potential deal that appeared on the table -- at least for now -- off of it,” Ives said, predicting the the union will announce new strike locations later this week. “There could be some tough talks ahead,” Ives said.
On Friday, Fain said Stellantis and GM have made wage offers that matched Ford’s 23% over the life of a four year contract. But, speaking in his characteristic sharp tones, the union president insisted that the companies can go further.
“We’ve got cards left to play, and they’ve got money left to spend,” Fain said.
While Fain said the companies keep touting that they’ve made record offers to the UAW, he said they’re insufficient to make up for how much ground workers have lost during the past two decades. Each time the automakers make an offer, Fain said, they insist it’s the best they can do, only to return days later with a better offer.
“What that should tell you,” Fain said, is that “there’s room to move.”
veryGood! (99984)
Related
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- The Daily Money: A rosy holiday forecast
- Most overpaid college football coaches include two from SEC. Who are they?
- ‘Anora’ might be the movie of the year. Sean Baker hopes it changes some things
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Sydney Sweeney Looks Unrecognizable in Transformation as Boxing Champ Christy Martin
- Simon Cowell Pauses Filming on Britain’s Got Talent After Liam Payne’s Death
- 'In da clurb, we all fam' social media trend: What is it and where did it come from?
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Mike Tyson brought in three familiar sparring partners in preparation for Jake Paul
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- A wild cat native to Africa and Asia is captured in a Chicago suburb
- Donald Trump breaks silence on 'Apprentice' movie: 'Disgusting hatchet job'
- Unions face a moment of truth in Michigan in this year’s presidential race
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Stellantis recalls over 21,000 Dodge Hornet, Alfa Romeo Tonale vehicles for brake pedal failure
- Martha Stewart Reveals How She Kept Her Affair A Secret From Ex-Husband Andy Stewart
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword, A Sight to Behold (Freestyle)
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Horoscopes Today, October 16, 2024
A full-scale replica of Anne Frank’s hidden annex is heading to New York for an exhibition
Many schools are still closed weeks after Hurricane Helene. Teachers worry about long-term impact
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Many schools are still closed weeks after Hurricane Helene. Teachers worry about long-term impact
'They didn't make it': How Ukraine war refugees fell victim to Hurricane Helene
Isan Elba Shares Dad Idris Elba's Best Advice for Hollywood